Jin Jia Sui, a Peranakan event fashion showcase

Date: Oct 7, 2023
Venue: Collab Store, Level 2 Shoppes at Four Seasons Place Kuala Lumpur

It was an afternoon of culture and style at the Jin Jia Sui, a Peranakan event fashion showcase.

For this, I have to thank my friend Vicky for inviting me to the lovely fashion show.

The Peranakan-themed fashion showcase is the brainchild of Collabstore, featuring a curated selection of exquisite Nyonya Kebaya and crafts from Sarawak craft council, a private collection of Mr John Ang's Nyonya Kebaya collection, and a sharing session of Peranakan history in Sarawak by Mr Chung Siong. Ang is an expert in Malay textiles from Selangor.

The opening show co-ordinated by Vicky Fong featured Kebaya and Borneo Motif sarong from Fabriko, Kuching. The show also featured songket brand RAMTINI and ceramic accessory brand NABILA.
Fabriko Fashion Show:



I just love the blue combo




John Ang's Nyonya Kebaya collection:






This is giving me tropical island chic vibes

I love that Nyonya kuih was served for refreshments. These were some of the best kuih-muih I've had!

Love the Nyonya kuih!

A sharing session of Peranakan history in Sarawak by Mr Chung Siong

As a culture and history buff, this was an informative session for me. Wish there were more publicity about Peranakan culture.


Side note: Upon learning that the dress code was Nyonya Kebaya, I quickly searched for an appropriate outfit. While I have many sarongs, I don't own a single Nyonya Kebaya and it was too late for me to order one. So I made do with what I had, hopefully i didn't look too out of place. Coincidentally, this batik (as stated on the label) is from Sarawak :)

Comments

Popular Posts