2kg whole chicken (cleaned and deboned)
1kg glutinous rice
60g diced onions
3 whole garlic
200g chestnut (steamed and skin removed)
300g dried shrimps
Salted egg yolks
Salt and pepper to taste
Black bean sauce
Bamboo leaves and hemp strings
1. Heat some oil in a pan and add in onions and garlic, fry till light brown or fragrant.
2. Add in dried prawns, followed by mushrooms, chestnuts, and chicken meat.
4. Lastly, add in salt, pepper & ajinomoto (optional).
5. Stir till chicken is cooked.
6. Form two leaves into a cone and begin filling the dumpling. Make sure you wrap the ingredients with the smooth side.
7. Start with a spoonful of rice, followed by a salted egg yolk and the cooked ingredients. Top it off with another layer of rice.
8. Delicately wrap and tie the dumpling.
(Tip: tie several strings together and hang it up, it is easier to tie the dumplings this way).
9. Boil water in a huge pot with cover. Add in dumplings and cook for an hour and a half.
10. Ensure the water covers the dumplings.
11. Remove and place on a piece of paper till water drains out. Ready to be served.