Osaka trip: We had fugu and survived!

 

Nanba Shrine

For me. a trip to Japan would not be complete without a visit to a shrine. Some would write their wishes on a wooden wishing plaque and hang it in  the shrine. As it was the Year of the Goat, some of the plaques were printed with goat or sheep designs. Even though we only popped in for a quick tour, I enjoyed the tranquility at the shrine.

Puffer fish dinner
Having worked up an appetite from our shopping trip in Dōtonbori, a popular place among locals and tourists to eat and shop, we really looked forward to the fugu (puffer fish) dinner. Yes, I’m well aware of the deaths caused by fugu consumption and the average fatality rate of 6.8%; but most victims were fishermen who ate their catch and the occurrence is rare in restaurants.
We ordered the set meal and tried fugu in various forms: fugu sashimi, yubiki (pufferfish salad), and fugu-nabe (pufferfish hotpot).
The fugu was cut into thin, translucent slices; one could tell that the chef was truly an expert.
I’m happy to report that we survived our fugu meal and would not mind another.

fugu-nabe (pufferfish hotpot)

the sushi was amazing

The fugu was cut into thin, translucent slices

Kaiyukan (Osaka Aquarium)
When I heard we were about to visit an aquarium, I did not think much of it. However, I was proved wrong as this turned out to be one of the attractions that I enjoyed during the trip.
Having grown up watching documentaries like National Geography, I was fascinated by the
Located near the Osaka Bay, this is one of the largest public aquariums in the world.
There are around 30,000 marine creatures representing 620 species. One of the highlights is the whale shark, the largest fish in the world, which is exhibited in a tank containing 5,400 tons of water. One could spend hours checking out the exhibits.
Visitors could see marine life from the Great Barrier Reef, Monterey Bay, Tasman Sea, The pacific Ocean and many parts of the world.
At the touch pool, visitors could touch sharks and rays; the slimy rays was a contrast to the rough texture of the sharks. I was initially afraid to put my hand into the water but manned up after seeing some kids bravely touching the exhibits without worry.
I parted with my money at the souvenir shop as the adorable soft toys and merchandise were just too irresistible.
For details, visit /www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng. Be sure to keep your unique ticket stubs.

Umeda Floating Garden
For our last night in Osaka, we went to the Umeda Floating Garden. It was a romantic spot for lovebirds to view the night scene; most of my travel mates made a mental note to revisit this place with their significant other. Tickets are priced at 700yen for adults (approximately RM21).
Another must see attraction in Osaka is the Osaka Castle. We rushed to the castle from the Aquarium but did not have the time to enter for a visit. We could only make do with taking photos of the exterior. We ate piping hot steamed potatoes, which is heavenly in the cold weather, while gazing at the castle, vowing to return for another visit.
--------
The short trip only slightly satiated my thirst to explore Osaka and I look forward to discovering more if I ever have the chance to revisit Osaka.
*This trip was co-organised by Universal Studios Japan and Apple Vacations.

Comments

Popular Posts