Universal Studios Japan + Osaka trip

I was jumping with joy the moment I got the call from my editor informing me about my trip to Osaka, Japan.
Since my first trip to Japan about 10 years ago, I have been yearning to revisit this beautiful country. Moreover, I get to go to Universal Studios Japan!
Before I go on, I have to admit that aside from Evangelion, I know nothing about the other anime/ games featured prior to researching about it before my trip.
I have to confess that I’m a scaredy cat, hence I’m not a frequent visitor of theme parks. Nevertheless, I’m psyched to visit Universal Studios Japan, also referred to as the Park. I may not have the stomach for some of the rides but just being there was an enjoyable experience.
And I did try The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man motion-based 3D  ride and visited the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™




The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™





The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™





The gloomy weather enhanced the atmosphere at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™






Journalists from more than 40 countries were invited to the launch ceremony. Luck was not on the organiser’s side as the skies opened as we were waiting for the event to start and everyone, except for the VIPs on stage, was drenched. There goes my hairdo and makeup.
The VIPs were popular Japanese musician Hyde and the producers of the featured anime/ video games.
Also there were fans of the featured anime/ video games and probably fans of Hyde.







Popular Japanese musician Hyde



After the launch, we had the opportunity to experience some of the attractions.

Monster Hunter: The Real
See the electrifying Zinogre brought to life with special effects.



Evangelion: The Real 4D
The selling point of this is that it is the world’s first 4D Evangelion attraction, featuring a fully original story that can only be seen there and will be shown for a limited time at the Universal Studios Cinema 4D theatre attraction.
In this experience-type screening system, seats would slightly tilt and there are effects such as air, water and smoke. Guests will be drawn into the world Evangelion and be at the centre of the battle.
I just wished the effects were more intense. During a bloodbath scene, I was expecting to be doused in water but we were only splashed with droplets of water.




Attack on Titan: The Real



Attack On Titan: The Real


40mil copies of this popular manga have been published (as of Oct 22014). At the entrance, one could see the world’s first full reproduction of a “life-sized” 15-metre tall Eren Titan and 14-metre Female Titan.
As we were waiting in line, I saw many fans clad in the Survey Corps Cape worn by Corps members in the manga. Official merchandise is sold at the Park.
In this walk through attraction, guests will join a mission to capture a Female Titan. Basically we were shown videos of the series as we walk through the rooms.
I overheard one of the foreign journalists saying “is that all?”. I guess we were hoping for more interactive features instead of merely watching videos, but I guess it serves as a good intro for those who are unfamiliar with the series.
The saving grace was the Clonoids of the characters Levi, Mikasa an Armin at the final room. Clonoid is a term for human forms created via human regeneration technology. Visitors will be amazed by the details of the life-like clonoids.I almost expected one to start blinking.




Monster Hunter: The Real
More than 31 million Monster Hunter video games have been sold (as of Oct 2014). Among the highlights of this attraction is the life-sized Seregios, the main monster from Monster Hunter 4G and the biggest in the attraction’s history at 12 metre tall, at the entrance; and the Zinogre brought to life with special effects. It was fun taking photos with the figurines here.
Apparently a life-sized character Airou would welcome guests in an original Park outfit but we did not see it. I’m sure it would be a draw for fans.




Biohazard: The Escape
Touted as “a mutated version of the Real Escape Game”, guests will be frightened by sudden zombie attacks inside a huge television station building. We were informed that players must solve multiple detailed riddled within a time frame.
I was really looking forward to trying out the challenge. Sadly we did not have the chance to do so because apparently there was not enough time.
-------
Overall, if you do not understand Japanese, some attractions may be lost in translation. Even the press kit provided to us was mostly in Japanese.
However, I don’t think language would be a barrier for some hardcore fans.
Furthermore, the official merchandise would make both fans and non-fans go crazy.
I visited the website official website for Universal Cool Japan and saw that visitors can enjoy dishes inspired by the four attractions such as Angel-destroying drink (Evangelion), green tea-flavoured bun (Attack on titan), Zinogre Tail Churritos and Street Stand Chef Airou Bun (Monster Hunter); as well as spooky treats from Biohazard. I was rather disappointed that we did not have the chance to try these creative dishes, it would have completed and enriched our experience.
Prior to the trip,I had researched about the interesting foods like the Snoopy Bun, Elmo Bun, and other dishes inspired by characters at the Park. None of which we had the time to try in our rushed schedule.
Well, I guess I would have to return for another trip. Plus, one day is not enough to fully experience what the Park has to offer.




The attractions will be availble till May 10, for details, visit www.usj.co.jp/e/universal-cool-japan2015)
--------




Luckily we were not drenched in rain for our remaining two days in Japan and we tried to see as much as we could.
Check out the next post to more about the Osaka trip.




*This trip was co-organised by Universal Studios Japan and Apple Vacations.

Comments

Popular Posts