Books I read: Myanmar on My Mind by H.C. Matthew Sim

Myanmar on My Mind, a guide to living and doing business in Myanmar by H.C. Matthew Sim is based on the author's experiences as well as of other international businessmen.

The author was First Secretary (commercial) at the Singapore embassy in Yangon, Myanmar from 1995 to 1997.
The books offers an insight in the minds of the Myanmar people, their culture and taboos.
I like the easy-to-read style, each topic is discussed in a concise manner and examples are given. It's a real page-turner, I finished the book within two days.
I'm not sure if all of the information (published in 2001) is still useful now but this book is a useful guide not only for businessmen but those who plan to visit the country.
Among the interesting topics are: "Please Use My Spoon, it is Specially Licked Clean for You", "You Made Me Lie", and "Who is the Real Boss?".
I wish there were other books like these, is there a "...on My Mind" series?

*disclaimer: these are merely my personal opinion. please don't throw a tantrum if you do not like the product stated or agree with what I said. Cheers ;)

Comments

Popular Posts